In my 18 years in the technology field, the one constant that remains is small business owners frustrations with their websites that have been designed and maintained by outside webmasters:
“I liked my last website but, I can’t update my website!”
“My website looks fine, but I have to add items to my Menu. I can get my webmaster to do that, but it’s going to cost me…”
“I am so afraid that if I go in there to do something I am going to break my website.”
If you talk to enough small business owners or friends that want to have a website but don’t spend evenings and weekends tinkering around on the web, you’ll hear these complaints quite often. And that’s from the ones who have figured out how to get a website up and running in the first place. There are many who are still trying to figure out where to start.
But wait, there is hope!
WordPress is one of the most popular blogging tools available. But what many people don’t know about WordPress is that it is a powerful Content Management System (CMS) as well. With WordPress you can build a blog, a website, or both.
Web Content Management Systems
A content management system is a tool that helps you manage the creation and updates to web pages on your web site. This means that you can manage your website content very much like you use office software for your documents and spreadsheets.
There are other content management systems, and we can help you implement them. But until recent years CMS’s systems cost tens of thousands of dollars and still required experts to maintain the system itself.
Using WordPress as a Website
Fast forward to today, and the creation of WordPress – an amazingly powerful content management system that is FREE (VS the thousands and thousands of dollars one would spend before), and it has a lot of power under the hood for a small or medium-sized business looking for an easy way to manage their web site. You can still hire a professional like us to give you the look that you want, or later on you can make those little changes all on your own.
WordPress was designed as a platform for blogging, but you don’t have to use it as a blogging tool. With a few tweaks it can be used to run your website, with or without a “blog.” The fact that WordPress was designed as a blogging platform gives it some compelling advantages.
It is optimized for easily publishing and changing content, and it also optimizes your images if you let it. Getting good search engine rankings requires fresh, unique content. You need a system that does not get in your way when you want to update your website with a new article or newsletter.
So why is WordPress a good choice?
Top Five Reasons to Use WordPress for Your Small Business Website
- SEO – WordPress provides good search engine optimization (SEO) right out of the box or as soon as you install it. There are a few tweaks you need to make, but there are many SEO benefits that WordPress provides for free. In fact Google’s own Matt Cutts says “(WordPress) is made to do SEO well” in this video: Matt Cutts gives tips to small business owners.
- Content – It is easy to update content on your website without knowing HTML. Do you hate the idea of having to learn to use a complex HTML editor tool like Dreamweaver? Do you have to “ask” your webmaster every time you want to make a small change to your website? Well, once WordPress is set up for you, this will be a thing of the past. With WP, you can easily create new pages or edit existing pages using a simple rich text editor. If you desire to get more technical with custom widgets etc. you may still need to know some HTML (but we can help with that!)
- Extensions – There is a thriving ecosystem of developers creating themes and plug-ins – imagine free design themes, or the ability to extend your website with polls, contact forms, ratings or hundreds of other cool features. A good part of knowing how to use wordpress for a professional website is knowing right away what plugin to use to meet you client’s needs. We can help you with that, too!
- Support – We can offer you all levels of support, from teaching you how to do it on your own to doing it for you, Conscious Computers it is just a phone call away.
- One-click-installation – Our hosting packages offer one click install of wordpress, we can also do it for you at an additional fee.